Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Another sacred lake

Here is another sacred lake that I visited on my Tibet trip. The Yamdrod Lake is one of three sacred lakes of Tibet. It has the altitude of 4441 meter (14570 ft.). It is plateau Barrier Lake. Different with Namtso, Yamdrod is an irregular shape lake, on the map it looks like the spread-open wings of swan. So it also can be called the “Swan Lake.” Also it is a big lake with a surface area of 638 km2 (246 sq. mi). There is no way for people to see the full picture of the lake.

the blue Yamdrod 

the green Yamdrod

Yak &Yamdrod


Yamdrod has a very high status in Tibetans’ minds; every year they ride horses around the lake. They think through this they can get happiness and luck from the god of the lake. For me, the lake is the most beautiful water that I have ever seen. It could be blue or green in different views. When you see it close up, the water is pure, like a crystal. When I stood on the mountain and looked at the lake, it looked like a blue necklace circling the mountain. That made me thinks that if there is heaven, Yamdrod is it.

No comments:

Post a Comment